Tuesday 4 January 2011

Question 3. What have you learned from your audience feedback?

Personally to me audience feedback has been the most beneficial and best way of making my coursework much better. It helps me to know how I’m doing e.g. whether I’m doing well or not, what to do next and how to improve by what was said in feedback. Without audience feedback my coursework wouldn’t be the way it is now. This is because audience feedback helped me know what the audience wanted to see and what they never wanted to see which made me know what to do to improve by hearing their reasons. For example during pre production I told some year 8 students about the idea we wanted to make and asked them whether they thought shooting in school will be the best location and they said yes and their reasons were because most films featuring kids and teenagers are set in school. As a group we decided to use audience feedback at all stages of our production. This was because we wanted our film to appeal to our target audience which will only be done by asking them and other people what they think is best. For example we got feedback on ways our audience will like us to shoot during production.


As we really wanted to come up with really good ideas we kept thinking of films. We had ‘Locked in my mind’, ‘The adventure of Babashola’, ‘Self Defence’ until ‘FIX UP LOOK HARD. Feedback helped us a lot with these because it told us how to improve the film and if it could even work. For example ‘The adventure of Babashola’ was changed because it would have been too hard to shoot and there was a huge possibility that it wouldn’t appeal to our audience. We got this feedback from our teachers and other students when talking about our films, and we took it into consideration because we knew that they know a lot about films and the other students are shooting also. We then asked people in year 10s what they thought and they said the same with one called Sam saying ‘It doesn’t seem to appeal to him and thinks his friends won’t like it. After having our final film to mind, we decided to change our film title because we were all told it doesn’t suit the film. Many people said ‘Self Defence sounded like an action film rather than a family comedy. ‘FIX UP LOOK HARD was chosen because we knew there was things going on with slang and young people as many of us sometimes speak it. The feedback we received was very positive with people saying they want to actually watch it just by the name itself. I feel that it fit our target audience demands better because that is the type of film name they like and film they like to watch and by changing it we have took their feedback and used it for the better.

The next piece of feedback I received was for my pitch in which me and my group spoke about our film to the whole class and teacher. We received both positive and constructive feedback and used it to improve on when we present our second pitch. Some of the feedback we got were that the idea of the film came across clear and simple but not creative. This revealed to us that our storyline is understandable and we know it but it isn’t much different and doesn’t challenge codes and conventions of our genre which made us start thinking of what we could do to improve. Another feedback from our pitch was that we didn’t have an audience which was when we changed out storyline. For our pitch itself we were told we explained our story clearly we should next time interact with them (audience) more to make it seem more interesting and to show we are passionate about our film. We improved our pitch the next time by acting out Harry and Jacks roles in a Q and A debate. After this our class told us that we had listened to their feedback and that our final pitch was much better than our first one.

From this point I began to realise that feedback is really important because it tells me what other people see and to get a good mark you need other people’s opinion as you may not see things that they are seeing. After the pitch we decided to change our storyline a bit by improving the ending. This came to our mind after the feedback we got for the ending was poor and people wanted it to be like they want to keep watching. So we changed it as that was better than a rubbish ending.

My role was in the task was to be Assistant Director and be in charge of sound and continuity. While the week of filming our film, at my own time and at home I done research on sound for the film. When I found all possible sound I immediately went to get feedback on first my group members to see what they thought of it. Some of their response was positive and negative and after them I went to other people. This helped me because I was able to know if people will enjoy the sound in the film or if it should be removed. I was also able to know why it wouldn’t suit our film for example because it wouldn’t make sense and how to improve the sound I made from music students. This was also an advantage for me because our target audience are children, young teenagers and adults meaning it is a comedy/family film so many people can watch it.

After feedback I received for my sound I then managed to look up some more and even better sound to make sure it suits my film and so it appeals my audience as they will watch it. As well as sound that I found I also made my own. I made it in the music room after my friend told me how to use the equipment.


Above is a sound that I made. It was meant to be played during the part when Harry is setting up the pranks to play on Jack, but it had to be removed after we had no more time to shoot that part of the film. The feedback I received from this was positive with people saying they can picture it playing at that specific time and it builds up a scene meaning it is building something or carrying on something.


Feedback on our film helped us to know whether it was funny or not. We managed to ask some year 9 students if they found it funny and they all said yes. Most of them said the sound made it funnier and the way Jack was bulling Harry made was funny. The most common negative feedback we got was that the acting of Harry (Edward Obeng) was bad and he looked as if he had been forced. At this point there was nothing we could do as me and the director (Antoinette Seki) did everything in making him act well but he wasn’t used to acting and didn’t like his role.

The next part was the Ancillary Task which was making the poster and the review page. I managed to get lots of feedback on both of them which helped me improve my work to a better standard. To me the posters feedback was more important because the review page had to be from a magazine so we just had to copy the overlook of a magazines review page while the poster had to ours and not copied. At first the feedback I was receiving for my poster was really negative and I had to keep improving it as everyone said it doesn’t look like a poster.

Feedback helped me see what I didn’t include for example simple things like actors names, crew etc and how to make it different from competitors for example in animation or sketch. It also helped me know how a comedy poster should look like as well as independent research on the internet and magazines. At the end I went from producing this



to improving it to this


in a matter of days thanks to feedback I got from people I asked.
I also managed to get children to put my final three posters in 1st, 2nd and 3rd in order of which was best. The one that was 1st the most I asked them why they chose that and they said it looks nice and like a poster. From this I learnt that even children are able to say why a poster is better than other and enabled me to think beyond the obvious.
As well as the advantages of using feedback like to improve and see if I did anything wrong, there are also some disadvantages of them also. These are they might be biased and the person I’m receiving the feedback from may not much about my genre or films in general. These could ruin my coursework if taken in construction.

No comments:

Post a Comment